View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #69
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hmm, true. I was just reading yesterday about efficiency stuff, and the going consensus was as much comp as you can get away with, and Small valves, actually. You plan sounds good. (Like I know!)

I'm kinda wanting to see how hot a vortec motor I can put under the 87 TBI in LBT. Kinda wanting to challenge myself to assemble it as well. My boss has offered to really flow up a set of Vortecs for me at a reasonable price, and it's tempting. He apparently grew up in Bob Morton's shop. Ask him about Kevin Gore. Motor off to the shop this week? OD trans?
Talked to Bobby and it didn't take long for the wheels to come off my engine building plan. He's dead set against using 305 heads on a 350 (too much shrouding) and recommended using a 5.7 specific cylinder head. So, I worked a deal with him to purchase a set of Vortec's with all new valves and springs set up ready to bolt on. I've sourced an intake, self aligning rocker arms, perimeter valve cover adapters, gaskets and etc. In the end, it was less expensive than buying a set of low buck Gen 1 heads from Summit or, to a lesser extent, fixing up a clapped out used pair. I'll throw the old intake in the swap meet junk pile and maybe offset a little of the cost someday. Short block is headed for his place first of next week.

Crank was .010 under on the mains and .020 on the rod journals. Will likely need to be ground an additional .010 across the board to make it right. Rods look good, but you never know until you torque the caps and measure. Rest of the machine work I planned on so no surprises there.

No OD trans in my future. The PO said the TH400 was rebuilt very recently by Certified Transmission and it shifted slick as a button on the drive home. Will keep it until it pukes or gas goes to $10.

If you need moral support (or have excess beer), keep me in mind. I'll be happy to come over and help you wrench a load of hotness into a Vortec for LBT.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote