View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #115
75Dually

Re: 68 GMC to a 2003 Tahoe chassis

Tonight was about starting to clean up the firewall. I really need to remove the cab again on the 68, but the dually is in the way, and that won't be moving until I repair the diff. I got a lot of the lose wires, the choke cable, the old speedo cable, and a lot of odds and ends removed. I also got the heater assembly taken out too. I took an old circular wire brush in a drill and got a lot of the material removed. I was then going to use a flapper disc to remove the rest of the sealant that was left on the firewall (pic below), but I had enough dust tonight from all that and decided to call it a night.

One thing that I would like those guys reading this who have never done a project of this size to understand is that there are a million nasty jobs that those 30 minute shows never tell you about. The gunk that just won't come off the firewall with anything but an old wood chisel (true story, had to use an old wood chisel tonight to remove that old hard sealant between the blower box and the firewall. That stuff was flexible 25 years ago, and now was as hard as a rock!). I don't want to scare anyone off, but just make sure you don't lose heart when you have to get all those not so fun jobs done. I've seen a lot of guys, even pros, drop a project because it stopped being fun about forever ago. Keep that final vision in your mind, go get a rendering done of the final result, or bring over your buddy's to help keep you motivated. The first time you get to fire it up and go around the block is an over the moon feeling that you will never forget. Ok that is unless it pukes on the way home, but that is a different story....

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote