View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #18
jarrodblake

Re: 1970 C30 Car hauler Buildish thread.

Not much progress has been made I keep getting distracted. I have been doing a bit of gunsmithing. I also had to buy a few more tools and parts before I could move forward. That and I have been lazy on taking pics and updating the build. That said I completely disassembled the 75 c30 front suspension a few weeks ago.

[IMG]IMAG1208 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I bought a HF parts washer and some psc 1000 parts cleaner. It made clean the front suspension so much faster.

[IMG]IMAG1227 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1224 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1225 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

That was a pain to remove.

[IMG]IMAG1226 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Is there any difference between the 70 c30 steering box and the 75 c30 steering box is there any benefit in installing it? My 70 box probably has less miles then the 75 box any thoughts?

[IMG]IMAG1229 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I started to dustless blast the front end but it was too cold so I stopped but I completely finished the upper arms and got most of the lower arms done and started the crossmember.

[IMG]IMAG1228 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1230 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1231 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I installed the high hump trans cover.

[IMG]IMAG1232 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1233 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I used 1/4 nutserts.

[IMG]IMAG1235 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1236 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I started undercoating the floor as I am finished welding on the floor and hopefully will not need to do any more.

[IMG]IMAG1238 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1245 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also my front air bag mounts came in. I am still searching for the right set of are bags for the front. I found a set on ebay they claim they are rated at 5k for each bag and on there website the are listed at 5k each bag but when I try to search for the same bag at other websites they come up at 3800 lbs each. The bags that I am thinking about using are CTS chassis tech 3800 Air Spring Diameter 8.50" Closed 2.8" Ext 12.50" 5,000lbs bag 400psi. Anyone know of a 5k or more lb rated bag that is about the same size? I am not looking for a kit just the bags.

[IMG]IMAG1234 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also ordered a 3/4 drive set to remove the control are solid bushing.

[IMG]IMAG1239 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then I proceeded to break my vise!

[IMG]IMAG1240 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I spent most of my day trying to fix it. But it looks like I will have to get a heaver duty vise.

I took some 1/4 plate and put it on the mill.

[IMG]IMAG1241 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1242 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then I welded it the swivel base with some stainless wire. Then I proceed to mill out a slotted radius for the clamp down stop.

[IMG]IMAG1243 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't have any pick of it but I tried to clamp down the control are down and tryed to remove the bushings again and ended up bending the 1/4 plate and striping out the center swivel bolt hole. So I have to re drill and tap it and put a grade 8 bolt in it. Then I bent the plate back. So now I have two choices I can remove the swivel base and drill another hole and mount the vise in a fixed position or I can just use it as a light duty holding vise and get a bigger heavy duty vise.

[IMG]IMAG1244 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote