View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 01:41 AM   #24
jarrodblake

Re: 1970 C30 Car hauler Buildish thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work. I know what you mean on wanting to make everything perfect. You have to do what you have to do and not grinding the hidden spots won't make it or brake it. Especially if you are keeping it to use. Nice score on the manifold too!
Thanks,

I don't see myself selling this one. It my evolve over time, but I don't see selling it. My main goal it to keep it from re rusting in the future. As long as I am not doing anything that will make it want to rust I am fine with it.

I am pretty happy with the manifold score. The only thing is it blocks the oil fill breather tube. Though that should not be a problem.

Also I finally broke down and bought a Vise. I really wanted a old Wilton. But I could not find one in goodenough condition for the right price that I wanted to restore. I really wanted an american made vise, but all the ones I could find where way more then I am willing to spend on one. So I made another compromise. I went with the brand I really wanted even though they are now cast in china and finished in the US. And from what I have read the quality control is really good. I went with the Wilton 14600 6.5" Reversible Swivel Mechanics Vise. I could not really find very many reviews on it and only one youtube video on it. So hopefully I did not waste my money. That said it was a tough choice I was considering getting the Wilton Rotating Jaw Vise as I do a lot of roll cage work and having a dedicated jaw for tubing was a big plus, however the shear size of the workpiece limit for the 14600 6.5" Reversible Swivel Mechanics Vise can hold up to 11-3/4 piece. Don't get me wrong there are very few times I have had the need to hold anything quite that big. But now I have the ability to do so if needed. It does have a tube jaw built in though it could be nicer. That said It should be here thursday!

So the other day I was down by the back water on our property, its a huge cove. I am considering setting up a small shooting range. I was planning on setting up targets over the water as its only about 3 feet deep and there is a huge bank on the other side almost straight up and down so there would never be anyone over there. But I think it may be easier to run it along the water as there is a huge hill on my side that curves around to the other side. I would have to use a canoe every time to repaint the targets. So it may be better this way. So when I was trying to see how much I would have to clear out to set up a range I found a trampoline that looks like it took out a screened in porch and speed limit sign and part of a power line during a storm. I wish I had taken a pic of it

But anyways I got some new garage art.

I don't know how deep the bury the sign post but that trampoline must have really been moving to rip through all that stuff.

[IMG]IMAG1289 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1290 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1291 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now back to the build!

I pulled the windshield out today.
[IMG]IMAG1292 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I placed it on the new cab while I removed the dash.

[IMG]IMAG1293 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I assume this is some kind of trailer brake controller.

[IMG]IMAG1294 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1295 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1296 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I got the dash drilled out.

[IMG]IMAG1297 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1298 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1299 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1300 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I cut a bit more than I needed.

[IMG]IMAG1301 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

I set the windshield back in.

[IMG]IMAG1303 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

it's not supposed to rain anytime soon I just hope there is not any strong wind to pull the windshield out.

[IMG]IMAG1302 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

cleaned up the pieces a little bit.

[IMG]IMAG1304 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Burned them in

[IMG]IMAG1305 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

And done for the night.

[IMG]IMAG1306 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMAG1307 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote