View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
keh27

Re: frame twisted or trailer arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagd72Chevy View Post
The pinion on the 12 bolt is offset to the passenger side. GM almost always uses the same length axle shaft on both sides so the carrier is centered and pinion is off to the side. If the rear axle is centered in the frame then the driveshaft will be closer to the passenger side of the crossmember. And it is more than 1/2" offset. Between 1 and 2 inches.

I just discovered this on my 67 GMC (leafs). At somepoint someone changed the 12 bolt axle and welded the perches on centered off the pinion. my entire axle is over to the driver side by ~2".

Solution: Cheat the axle over 1/2" or so with the track bar or clearance the crossmember if you're worried about it hitting. I would have no less than 1/4" clearance.
This is correct, after checking with a buddy and looking his truck the rear end is off to the right side he has the two piece drive shaft. The one piece drive shaft tents to make it look worse. the engine wasn't centered in the pic so it is better than the pic, I will look into again once the body is back on. I will post more pics at that tome. The X measurements are around 1/8 inch of each other . So I will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks everyone. for all the help
keh27 is offline   Reply With Quote