Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 03:35 AM   #1086
rich weyand

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
thank you all for helping me with the fuel issue

my tank has a vent that goes to the filler neck and then two hoses run to the engine bay one for fuel the other for evap to the charcoal canister....
The vent in the filler neck is to allow air to get around the inrush of gasoline from the pump. This does not vent the tank, because it is connected to the filler neck below the cap, not to the outside.

The vent to the evap canister should be venting your tank. I am surprised though that you have no return line from the fuel pump. I have supply line and return line, but no vent line.

You should do the check I mentioned above. Drive it till it dies, then open the gas cap and see if there is a vacuum in the tank. This will cause fuel starvation as you are apparently experiencing. If there is vacuum in the tank, you need to figure out why the vent line through the evap canister is not working.

If there is vacuum in the tank, the short term fix to make it drivable while you work out the problem is to drill the gas cap. If you are subject to CA emissions, that will need to be replaced before your next check. Otherwise you may just treat it as a permanent fix.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote