View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Third Alternator

I've had a string of lemon Alternators and EVRs. [And Mech Fuel Pumps, And P/S Gearboxes].
I had Lifetime Warranties from Checker Auto, lasted for years, then they sold out to O'Reilly.
O'Reilly's been giving me junk parts. Their better grade parts only have a 3 year warranty. It would cost extra to 'upgrade' to a short-lived part.
I asked at Auto Zone, but they don't carry Delcotons [or EVRs] for a 52 year old truck. They lost the right pigtail to bench test it at the shop.
Been thru about 2X EVRs [external voltage regulators] and as many "Delcotrons'' on both my '68 C/10 and '71 GMC Jimmy.
Getting Pit Crew fast on R&R'ing EVRs and Alts...

Today, we found the gripe on the '68 Stepside -- it was a broken splice in the little plug goes into the back of the Alt. Ran out of daylight to chase an identical No Charge gripe on the Jimmy. Have to get at it later in the week, but I know what to check now.

Problem is, big chain auto parts stores don't respect our vintage vehicles. To them it's just a hobby car, an adult toy. They farm refurbishment out to Mexico or Asia. So the Chinese can get away with making what was called "Counterfeit Parts" in the aviation industry. They fit OK, but fail in service.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-20-2020 at 12:25 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote