View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #14
RustyPile

Re: Fuel gauge problem/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper116 View Post
I appreciate the pat on the back there RustyPile !! But wouldn't you know it... we go to fill it up and it stays there. A little ways down the road, it goes to full.. then after it sits a bit... and we start it up again... the fuel gauge doesn't register right.. It's got to be a bad connection or, the float I would think may be sticking.. but we replaced the sending unit with a brand new one! We tested it's function before we put it in the tank and it tested fine... We tested a new wire lead to that we bought and it worked just as well as the original. I really don't want to pull the tank again... this is aggravating.. so we'll just keep topping off the tank till time to put it in winter storage. We'll tackle it again next spring once the snow is gone and it warms up. We don't put the top on it... it stays in storage.. it's a double walled top. I have a single wall top but will probably get rid of it. I don't have the time to clean and restore it anyway. Thanks again.
Well shoot!!! It does sound like a loose connection.. Here's something you can do without removing the tank.. Fabricate a ground wire/strap for the tank.. Normally, I don't recommend drilling holes in a gas tank, but this problem requires thinking outside of the box. The tank is made up of 2 pieces welded together.. If you look close, you can see the weld seam near the edge of the tank half flanges.. Drill a small (1/8" or slightly larger) hole in the corner of the tank.. One of the corners is the best place.. Be sure to drill OUTSIDE the weld seam.. Clean the area around the hole.. Make up a ground strap long enough to reach between the hole and the frame.. Either drill a new hole in the frame or use an existing hole. Clean the area area around that hole also. Solder terminal ends on each end of the wire/strap.. Use a sheet metal screw to attach the wire/strap to the tank, and also firmly attach the other end to the frame.. Use star washers on both ends..

If this doesn't correct the balky gauge, check and clean each and every connection associated with the fuel gauge circuit -- EVERY ONE.. Good luck with your troubleshooting.. Post your findings...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote