View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #38
WIDESIDE72

Re: Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf717 View Post
The levels have not plummeted, but yes they have been reduced. The levels are still way safe for use in older gasoline engines, and motorcycles. Unlike what is available in car oils today
Back when the oil companies first took the zinc and phosphorous out and didnt tell us, I ruined the cam in a Chevy 350 engines. Actually it ruined more than just the cam, as the metal from the cam and lifter that went flat became lodged in the piston skirts and also took out the crank journals.
Even though the failure came with several thousand miles on the engine, I thought that I must have not broken the cam in correctly, even though I had built several engines in the past, and broke the cam in the same way.

I pulled the engine and built a 383, with another flat tappet hydraulic Comp Cam. I did the cam break in as usual, and ran Castroil oil, still not knowing about the ZDDP being taken out. As soon as all of this oil situation came to light, I started running the ZDDP additive. Unfortunately it was too little to late as a few months ago, the cam went flat in this engine as well. I have not pulled the engine yet, but I am afraid that it ruined the crank and pistons as in the 350. THis is a lot more expensive proposition, as the rotating assembly in the 383 is forged and balanced, and the 350 was all cast and not balanced (other than from the factory).

Thanks for the heads up, oil companies! This only cost me a few grand!

Moderm oil seems to be OK in engines with stock valve spring pressures, but in anything with a flat tappet and higher than stock spring pressures, I reccomend using the additive, or if you can afford it, I believe most cam companys offer and nitrided or similar process to their cams.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote