View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Re: DIY Powder Coating

Yes, you have to break the tie rod ends down and tape the threads. As you probably figured out, coating on threads will cause them to not fit the nut and all it will do is pop off as you tighten. I've never done my own but have been having a place do mine since the '80s, so I've gotten an education. I'm friends with the owner and he has educated me on a lot of it, from all the various pieces I have had done. People say not true, but he told me they only do individual pieces. The tie rod end has moving parts. Maybe it can be done, but when the parts move the coating will have to break and won't that start the deterioration process? Powder coat is a shell and once compromised will hold in water and the coating can become unbonded and come loose as a shell. I would tape up the ball socket and stud so the only thing coated is what is exposed. That's all that matters.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote