View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #257
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I don't know how it was from the factory, but having the temp sender on the right side seems much cleaner to me in terms of wire routing. The temp wire can be bundled along with the starter motor wires. If it were on the left side, you'd have this one lone wire to run over there, either by draping it over the valve cover or by routing it under the exhaust manifold. Plus, the sender would be closer to the front of the engine if on the left, making the wire longer and more unsightly.

What are you going to do with that blue oil pressure wire? I'm assuming you've got a gauge cluster with an oil pressure gauge.
I agree with the temp. gauge sensor goes on the RH head, I just installed the harness and everything fits like a glove, all their clips have a spot for them. If I knew where the anti-dieseling wire plugged in then I'd know LH vs RH head for sure. As it's wired that anti-dieseling wire leads to near the A/C compressor. Regardless I'm not restoring anti-dieseling.

The sensor is in the LH head in my C20, it's had lots of alterations so I can't speak for it. Yeah, the wire, which is probably an additional connection runs from the RH side behind and over the engine to the sender on the LH head, doesn't add up to me. It's possible a lot of these had a TCS sender on the LH head and folks use them for gauge instead, just guessing, I really don't know beyond the new harness doesn't require another wire, as is it connects to the sensor in the RH head like it's supposed to be there. May as well add a pic. where I'm at.

And as you perhaps eluded to, the elephant in the room, if a gauge temp. sender is supposed to be on the LH head, why route the wire to it with the rest of the harness through the firewall gutter to the RH side?

I was wrong above about the clip indicates the sender is on the LH head, just turn it "upside down" fits nicely. Currently I can't finish her up until I figure out what to do with the "R" terminal wire at the starter, my mini starter doesn't have that terminal, so I inquired with Delco, see what happens. The wire distributor says connect to "R" HEI or not. I'd rather not cut the wire, perhaps Delco has an idea. It's that or I'm taping that up for now. So much for "custom harnesses". Other than that the harness is super.

Except that oil pressure wire not sure what I'm doing with it. If I cut it the warranty is up. At a glance I'll tie it to the harness behind the engine block for now, perhaps snip & tape later on.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-16-2021 at 07:30 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote