View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #125
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Had a good day yesterday followed by a let down.

I bought a cheap repop hood from Jegs to run on the truck until I get my original back from paint.

I got it fit decent, not great. I had to remove the hood springs to get the hinges to sit down far enough for the hood to sit flush.

So yesterday I drove to work. Everything went pretty good. Was nervous but didn't have any issues. Then after work I stuck it on our alignment rack so I could set the toe. The camber was pretty decent at just over -1* so I left that alone. The caster is off a little from one side to the other but I didn't really have the time I needed to adjust it. The toe was off so I get it set at about -1/8" side to side. I need to drive it a little more to see if I like the handling at that toe. If its too "responsive" Ill toe it back "in" a little.

So on the way home I got stuck in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes. The coolant temp got to 220* but not any higher. As traffic was clearing up I took off from a stop and the truck spit, sputtered and died. After pulling off I realized my fuel pump in the fitech sump wasn't turning on. It was also super HOT. Like I couldn't put my hand on it. The pump failed but I can't determine yet if the pump was failing and got the sump super hot or the opposite. The tank was full so fuel should have been circulating keeping the sump cool but maybe something is going on that I haven't figured out yet.

I also need to look into the cooling system. I may bump the fan kick on temp down and see if that helps. I don't really know what t-stat is in the truck either. Or my jeep fan just isn't capable of keep up..

Regardless I had to get flat bedded home 3 miles.. sigh. oh well. $hit happens.

Last edited by cruizin01; 09-21-2018 at 08:23 AM.
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote