View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #92
Tikal48

Re: Harold's '48 S10 LS1 Build

The past month I've been working on the overhead console. I was inspired by the awesome fiberglass work in Ogre's "58 TRUK intro" thread. So I thought that I would give it a try. Besides, I needed to cover up the hole that I made with the 3rd brake light, and still maintain access to it if needed.

Since this is my first project of this sort with fiberglass, I figured that I would see how this was going to turn out before embarrassing myself. . ha ha

I started looking for a map light, and found one on Ebay with a drop down sunglasses case. In the pictures, it looked black or dark gray. To my surprise, it was tan when I received it. I'll wind up painting it in the end. It didn't cost enough for me to worry about returning it. I used the location of the map light as my starting point of the skeleton. The reverse angles over the windshield were perfect to cast in fiberglass as the front console support.

Once the skeleton was complete, I used fleece and stretched over it as I have seen in many Youtube vids. I applied my fiberglass cloth over the top of that. Honestly, it was ugly as a mud fence at that point. The fleece sagged between the ribs after the glass was applied. Thankfully, it gets better.
Attached Images

Tikal48 is offline   Reply With Quote