View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 10:42 PM   #18
dayj1

Re: Mechanical speedometer drive solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Series View Post
I will continue to look for a suitable motor, probably a cordless driver from a second hand shop. They are in the right range, and include gears. I tried looking on-line for motors, and gears with poor results.
If you'll PM me your address, I'll send you a stepper motor with a built in optical tachometer for feedback to your controller. It's RPM range is good up to about 120 MPH (2000 RPM). I was going to do this a few years back and sourced a couple of motors. In my case, I decided it was just easier to use a mid-90s GM speedometer and re-face it for my application. But, you obviously know what you're doing. If you can put the motor to good use, you can have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Series View Post
I need to build the box, get a connector for the speedometer cable. Where can I get the connector like on a transmission that the cable attaches to? 5/8” thread for GM?.
You're pretty much going to have to machine a fitting for this. I've never seen anything off the shelf that would work without some modification. I was going to machine a coupler to attach the motor directly to the gauge (and eliminate the cable and the resistance that comes along with it). I have access to the tools to make such a fitting, but, again, I just said forget it and went the route of least resistance.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote