View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #115
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

I ordered a radiator, exhaust hangers and cruise control. Since the radiator arrived first, I thought I would sit it in the core support and see how it looked.

The radiator is a 2 pass unit from Speedway Motors. It is based on the Chevrolet pattern. I ended up with a 2 pass radiator because the A/C compressor blocks the path from the engine thermostat housing to the driver's side radiator outlet. I couldn't mount the compressor on the passenger side because of the location of the water pump & alternator. That's why I like to mount the engine accessories early...

It is a couple of inches shorter than the OEM radiator (it is the widest one that they make). I priced a custom radiator so I could get the exact dimensions - very $$$ - more than 3X the price of this one.

Here it is on the bench:

Name:  Radiator on the bench.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  73.6 KB

Here it is sitting in the core support. The core support has 2 positions for radiator supports and this radiator would work in the narrower position. Unfortunately, the fan would be way off center so I am thinking this is where it will end up.

Here's the front view:

Name:  Radiator front view.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  64.4 KB

Here's the side view:

Name:  Radiator right side view.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  86.0 KB

It is a gorgeous radiator and I like the look of aluminum; but, I really want to paint it black...
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote