View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 AM   #1
jocko

Post your "Special Paint" RPO truck (aka: the Definitive Special Paint thread)

The title says it all. There are a bunch of special paint threads posted throughout the forum and new RPO codes seem to be popping up every now and then, so thought it might be a good idea to start a one-stop-shopping showcase of original paint trucks with "Special Paint" RPOs on the SPIDs. So, the idea is post a pic of the truck and the SPID, and we'll start a library of sorts of Special Paint codes. I've yet to figure out how to decode the color by just looking at the RPO - have only been able to know what one should be by comparison to an original one. So, if that's the best we can do, it would still be helpful.

Lots of interesting tidbits on Special Paint floating around out there. "Normally" Special Paint terminology seemed to be used when a factory color that wasn't necessarily available on a light duty truck was used - or - when a non-standard two combination was used (not a "Custom Two Tone" though, as RPO codes existed for those HERE). For instance, I had a 76 K20 that was just good ol Orange. But in 76, RPO 88 orange was a medium duty or above color - so it took a Special Paint RPO to get it on my K20. That's just one example.

I'll go first, please share yours (or one that you have the info on, you don't have to own it of course)

71 Cheyenne Super
Special Paint RPO = 4001BB

69 C20 CST
Special Paint RPO = ZP3 (This one really confuses me, I think ZP3 evolved into a two tone combo code in the square body years, this is the only time I've seen it in this era. All other Special Paint RPOs I've seen in the 67-72 range looked like some variation of the one listed above for the Cheyenne Super).
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote