View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #91
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Omg, I’d be ready to give up already and unfortunately for you your in box would be full. lOL!
I'm too far gone to give up, Mike. Gotta see it thru now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
Great fab skills, Vic!
Thanks, Doug!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokin4AReason View Post
nice work ....
Thanks very much!

Not exactly sure how I ended up back working on the suicide door... maybe the argon gas diverted me, but I've been making some progress with the latch and striker. After a couple of tries, I got the striker mounting plate tacked up pretty much where it needed to be. The striker plate is angled slightly in several directions. I used the front door striker as a reference and between the tape measure and the angle finder I managed to get it close enough to latch.

Nearly had heart failure the first time it actually latched, though. Couldn't get the door back open. Finally had to loosen the hinge bolts to get enough slack to get past where it was hanging up. I figured out it was "over latching" for lack of a better explanation. After the safety latch and the full latch, it would continue in about another half tooth and wedge itself tight. I hope adding rubber cushions in the correct locations will keep it from closing too far. Right now I'm just being careful.

Welded out the pocket where the striker fits as well as the panel on the door where the latch bolts. I'm not completely finished, but it's good enough to stop off and get back on the liftgate/tailgate.

Got word yesterday that the chassis is in production and will be finished next week. It was going to cost $1800 to crate and ship it to a terminal about 35 miles from the house so I told them I'd come and pick it up when it's done. Even with expenses and sales tax I'll save a bundle.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote