View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #44
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: '65 Chevy Bel Air Wagon

Well, the rusty ram horn manifolds didn't last long... after finding a pretty good sized crack on the drivers side manifold (that hadn't started leaking yet) I started looking for headers. I found a set of headers on eBay that supposedly fit '65-89 full-size Chevy cars (along with chevelle and camaro) with a small block. They are from the vendor 'speed-daddy'. I used a set of headers from them on my '05 GMC a few years back and they worked out okay (they're actually still on truck and they're 7 years old now), so I went for it. They were $138 shipped to my door and are listed as 304 stainless steel, 1 5/8" tubes, 3" collectors, 2.5" reducers. The ones on my GMC were listed as stainless, but have about 60k miles on them and look like hammered cat poo now, but haven't rusted through and never leaked. I never clean or polish them either, so there's that... I fully expected these new headers to not fit well since they are basically one size fits all, but was willing to spend a few bucks to find out. I soaked the manifold bolts down in CRC 'Knock'er Loose' and let it sit for a few hours. Everything busted loose with no drama or cussing. Much to my surprise, the new headers slid right in from the bottom, the spark plugs went in with no issues and they didn't hit the lower control arms, steering box or trans crossmember. They even came with bolts, gaskets and reducers. Got a Hedman Hedder's a/c bracket, which needed an additional hole drilled in it and a little persuasion from a bench vise, but it all bolted up nicely in the end. They added a little more growl to the exhaust and I can definitely feel a seat of the pants improvement over the manifolds. Overall I'm pleased with the purchase.
Attached Images

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 11-02-2018 at 03:06 PM.
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote