View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #35
1976gmc20

Re: Jeep rolling off Black Bear Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
I went into that one somewhat blind. I knew it was a steep climb and decent, but it was a little more than I expected. But here's a good video taken from my mirror mount. Still does not translate how steep the last section was. I was on the brake pedal with both feet, legs fully extended, sliding under my seat belt as I was a little shy of being vertical as the truck was going down. Even with both feet clamping down on the brake pedal the tires were still sliding on the loose dirt. I knew Hydroboost needed to be in my future from that point.
https://youtu.be/dEAWtOgqQ4A

Webster isn't bad, but it's not always open. You can see the junction with Webster in my video above near the end. There's always a snow bank right at the summit of Webster. Depending on the previous winter's snowfall and how the summer temps have been the snow may still be there until August. That video was taken in July. No chance we could have got through it as it was over 8 ft deep on the trail side down from the summit. It forced us to go all the way down to Breckenridge come back through Fairplay.
That's why I hate automatics in 4wd. I figured that out about two weeks after I bought my brand new 1973 K20 with TH350. It's all okay until the wheels start locking up.

So now I have yet another one but it had to be so my wife could also drive it. This 6 speed is different, though. I haven't had it off road, but just going down my driveway you can leave it in Drive and keep your foot off the gas and it will just idle down real slow, instead of running away like every other automatic we have or had. Same out on the road, take your foot off the gas going down most hills and it will slow right down almost like a manual. I'm almost liking it

Obviously many of those roads aren't open until July/August. First time I tried to go over Tincup Pass there was a drift like that right below the top so I had to drive back down to BV and go over Cottonwood like a sane person

Not "four wheeling" but the last logging/trucking job I did was up off of Old Cochetopa Pass. There was an insane logging road cut in there by the FS. It wound around nice and easy for miles and then suddenly went up this really steep loose rock hill. I couldn't load my trailer so going up empty was spin/catch spin/catch in 2nd gear all the way. The product was big green poles and coming down loaded in 1st gear I had to stand on the brakes with all my strength just to hold it back and stopping on the grade was out of the question. Just hoped I didn't meet some hunters insisting on uphill right of way! It was a contract job, so much per piece delivered, and the guy who had the timber sale couldn't understand why I didn't load more logs Yeah, a diesel and a jake brake maybe ...
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote