View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #42
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

Hey guys, I was trying to wait for a bigger update but it's been a while so I'll hit you with a couple sneak peaks

First off, it was way back when, I only had the perches on my rear end tacked in as back then I was verifying my pinion angle and wasn't looking to overly commit.. I wanted to get the thing coated so I pulled a couple measurements and confirmed the axle was center and that everything was good to go. It was. Then suddenly I was completely thrown off, as with the driveshaft installed I could really tell that axle yoke wasn't centered

I'll cut to the chase, cause all the OG's already know where I'm going with this... Turns out Chevy 12 bolts are in fact not centered. I did all my head scratching, double checked all my measurements, did all my research and finally figured out that this was normal and I was good to go. The axle came out of 70's something Blazer some guy was parting out on Craigslist. Everything was in really good shape but the only catch was he wouldn't let me take it without the Dana 44 front end too. By the time I sold the front end though I ended up getting away with what I'd call a hell of a deal. I finalized the perches, coated it, filled it with gear oil, and all is good to go but now the yoke seal is leaking, so I'll have to get to that... The axle seems to fit perfectly into my rear fenders so I don't believe I''ll have to shorten it

I also changed the oil pan gasket (confirmed, cannot remove pan with V8 crossmember), transmission pan gasket and filter.

Sorry I always have such crap lighting

Dashboard's been at the body shop... I used to work for this guy back in high school, he's just a one man shop operating out of his property and has been for 30+ years. I have the dash back now but here's a sneak of the color, GM Bermuda Blue Metallic. I've always been a huge fan of the color so I'm glad I finally get to use it on something. It really only pops in the sun, changes from dark blue to green

Be smart and always let the Paintman do all the drinking and thinking for you! My radiator support fix looks like his throwaway rough draft but it's done, thanks brotha!

Doors are just about ready to go back together

That's about it with the minor update, there's more to follow. Thanks for stopping by, I'll catch you guys later

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote