View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
earl84

Re: 64 C20 front disc clarification and Spindle ID

You may be able to find a quick answer to your ball joint question here, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4450757 or look in the FAQ section under the brakes area, and there is a ton of info, almost too much to digest.
I used the power steering gearbox that came off the same '79 C20 that I got the crossmember out of. Bought Captainfab's PS bracket, made it pretty easy to do, but again, that was with the engine out. I imagine that will be a little tricky with the engine in as well. My power steering was missing parts, and in need of a rebuild, so I decided to upgrade all at once.
The power steering pump is a whole different story in my case. I replaced the engine with a 454, installed a SBC serpentine setup and used a pump from the same model year as the serp setup was from. It produced too much flow for the PS and it was overly sensitive at highway speeds. There's more to it, but it's a long story. Bottom line if you can, just get Captainfab's bracket, use the PS gearbox and pump from the same year as the rest of your setup and it will all work fine.
I haven't addressed the tie rods and all that, either, but since I replaced my whole crossmember, it was easy to figure it out. I don't know if you will have to buy adapters or not, but there are guys on here who have done everything you want to do, and are more than willing to help. It can be a little more challenging finding info and parts for C20's, and a lot of guys just swap everything to C10 stuff for ease of finding parts and expense as well. I wanted to be different so I kept it all C20 knowing it might be more of a challenge, but it's not insurmountable by any means.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote