View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Brake Dust Shield Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
I know some people say they do not use them and claim they cause overheating of the brakes. Some people claim they were designed to be there for a reason so keep them on. Either school of thought is fine with me however I may be forced to run without them until I can get a pair.

I see LMC and Brothers sell them, but does anyone know a part number for them to find them through a local auto parts store?

I read on one site that they were the same up until 1987 and I am not sure this is true.

What I have is the Brothers 6 lug Drum to Disc conversion (Comes with all new tie rods and tie rod ends plus ball joints) along with the power booster/master cylinder kit to install.

Hoping I can find them locally.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. any tips and tricks on this install would be great.

Pictures to follow...

ETA: Found Key Parts #0849-800 67-72 Disc Brake Dust Cover Shield. Nobody seems to have them locally.
I'd have to say that if the dust shields caused overheating of the brakes, GM wouldn't have used them. The dust shields wouldn't be on there if not necessary. They cost a lot of money to make and install, given the millions of units so equipped.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote