View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
chev-obsession

Re: Any good parts on this frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
This is what I would do. The frame is definitely a 67-72 4x4. The straight rear frame section is the first dead giveaway.
see if you can get the complete truck or even just the complete frame. I would not however, keep the drum brake front axle or the t-221 personally. The first is obvious why, the second is because the t-221 is hard and expensive to get parts for. The 205 can still be had reasonably enough if you look around and there’s a huge aftermarket/parts following for it, and it’s strong as hell. I would find a later 71-87(91 for 3/4 ton suburban and 1 ton crew cab 4x4) 8 lug disk brake, Dana 44, GM 10 bolt, or Dana 60 axle. Square body stuff should still bolt up. Then I’d find a good 205 with the transmission of your choice. If possible make sure you get the shifter and the shifter pivot bolt with the 205, those two can be hard to find separate. You’ll also want to swap the steering box and drag link to the later style(great time to add power steering) if you swap front axles. Your much further ahead to get the whole frame and change a few things on it than you are to go thru the work to strip parts off of it and modify your 2wd frame.

All said that is a heck of a good find. The rear springs are different on the 67-68 trucks beware of that. If I were in your shoes I’d be all over it. Good luck!
Thank you for the input, I will take that into consideration and realistically what you mentioned is inline with what I’d like to do. I will keep you guys posted with what they tell me. The truck is sitting behind the crusher so I’m hoping they will part with it or at least the frame