View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Re: The Dakota Cadillac (68 K20 w/ Cummins)

All buttoned up ready to rock and roll.

I will eventually make a new intake setup, but for now the stock dodge intake fits the new turbo. A water cooled S300 62/65/14 sits all pretty waiting to be played with. I disassembled it and painted the exhaust housing in POR15 manifold paint as well as the sandblasted exhaust manifold. Hopefully holds up to the heat. If not, nothing lost as it would have rusted anyways.

I'm running a 2nd Gen Dodge intake elbow, as it was free off a friends truck last year when he upgraded to a Banks elbow. Flows more than the stock 1st gen and I was able to sell my entire intercooler / charge air tubes / elbow to someone converting an non-intercooled 89 W250.

The first new toy for the old motor, this is from a Cat C7 application but should work well on here and I like that it's water cooled as it will live much, much longer. Also note 4" exhaust that does a pretty severe angle on exit from the turbo but I'm not too worried about restriction at my power levels (hopefully 300hp/700tq). It wasn't finish welded here, and I do need to wrap the first foot of downpipe as it is very close to the coolant lines for the vintage air unit. The exhaust drops outside the frame rails via a hole in the fender wells (already there from PO). and on back exiting behind the rear tire. I'm not sure on clearance to the tire at turned right, stuffed left but we'll see and I can bump stop to accommodate.

Look at this sexy beast, I even painted the faded bowtie to match the motor. (Sleep deprived at 2am in the garage.)

I have to finish up the wiring (layed temorarily so I can figure out where to crimp in weatherpack quick connects) and tidy up a few things. Plans also call for swapping in a late model 10.5 AAM 14bolt for it's disk brakes, parking brake, and increased width out back.

Unfortunately the brakes wouldn't stay bled so I had to leave it up in South Dakota and take my 63 Chevy II back to Cali. (Real rough life, huh?) But I'll be moving back in a few months, buying a house, and finishing up enough to get it to be a daily driver when snow makes necessary.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote