View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #489
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

After reviewing the throttle situation, I determined a possible cause for the lazy pedal action was the hole position in the throttle arm I was using. If I moved the cable stop to the second hole, it would give me a quicker throttle as well as reducing the amount of travel needed for WOT. So I relocated the cable stop this morning to the second hole in the throttle arm and tested the throttle action. I could tell it was quicker with shorter travel as well. However, it still felt somewhat lazy. As you can see in the photos below, the Teflon lined, braided steel hose from Lokar had collapsed with only slight tension applied. It's not really meant for this purpose in the first place, so I shouldn't be surprised. As the result, the Lokar braided steel throttle cable has a new home in the trash bin.

The FITech setup came with an OEM throttle cable, but the ends were not at all what I needed. It was, however, the right length and diameter, so I set about cannibalizing the Lokar ends and transferring them to the sturdier OEM cable. It's a plastic covered, spring wound assembly with a PTFE liner meant for this application. All back together and tested, it operates smoothly and quickly. After several days of dinking around with it, I think I finally have a long term solution.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote