View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #14
Sevens

Re: Project '65 - The "build" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Very cool! I look forward to following along your build. I spent a lot of time in the Fallbrook area for work, racing support, etc. (that's where my truck was painted). What are some of your plans for it? Good luck on the build up!
I bought my split bench of a guy that does car restorations in Bonsall...

Who painted your truck? Paint is one thing that I think I will leave to the pros. I plan to do the bulk body work myself but I will most likely hire someone to do the actual filling/blocking/sanding and spraying...so I am looking for recommendations within an hour or so of San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
3rd time's the charm! I watched a bunch of youtube videos about it, and one of my friends who learned to weld at his college also taught me. The key is to start with scrap metal and just weld on it. Practice, practice, practice.

On the doors you just picked up, if the handle pocket ends up needing to be replaced, you might be able to just cut out and weld in the ones from your damaged doors
Are there any particular YouTube videos or channels that you would recommend?

I plan on keeping my old doors around until the bodywork is complete for that exact reason (just in case I need to cut/weld). Both sets of doors have good glass and I think both sets of vent windows and hardware are in decent shape... I plan to cherry pick the best parts and then sell the windows once I finish "loading" my doors.

When I put the doors together, I want to replace all of the rubber and felt tracks in both doors. LMC seems to have everything, but I have heard they don't always fit well.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy quality rubber that fits?

'65 GMC that identifies as a Chevrolet
Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote