View Single Post
Old 02-26-2024, 05:35 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: 4 core rad mounting pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
All my parts are original (rad re-cored) and the only thing new is the rubber pads top and bottom. I tossed my original pads way back in 08 when I bought it. That was dumb. So the top clamps just don't suck down on the rad like they should have originally. It makes the top clamps look like they are high in the engine side. The shroud top bolts won't line up as well as the clamp brackets need to be lower.
Be sure to check your lower brackets, they must seat flush and if they don't modify the core support, like the factory was supposed to - On Wednesday's anyway.

If I remember right, there's no difference OEM rubber and replacements. But perhaps yours were shaved. If all else is equal it's the cushions. Just stiff perhaps. Option to heat em up some, see if that helps. If not, I sanded some of mine at some point. It's seen more than a few pads.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote