View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 12:07 AM   #47
kipps

Re: NV4500 swap installed and rollin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
$1000 in parts? I'm fixing to rebuild my spare nv4500 at about half that price from Allstate. I wouldn't buy a used trans without assuming it needs rebuilt. Although I got lucky on my current one I just installed but I was able to drive the donor truck before he pulled it.
I've been deliberating between torqueking parts and rockauto parts. I would save a bit by buying from rockauto, but I'd still have to order some parts elsewhere if I did that. Torqueking has everything in stock. The biggest share of that cost is the rebuild kit itself, at $500. The rest of the expense is in the oil, the chipped 51-tooth countershaft fifth gear, the input shaft with its chipped gear, the trashed 3/4 hub, and a few small bits that I'll need.

Torqueking uses better quality bearings than rockauto offers, and the bearings were what caused my issues in the first place, so I feel some obligation to install the best bearings I can. I really don't want to go back in to this transmission. I'll be welding the fifth gear nut and gear together, so that shouldn't be failing any time soon.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote