View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Joe Cool

Re: C20 Leaf Springs or Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prematuregrey View Post
I agree, a "cord" is measured as 8' x 4' x 4' ( basically (3) 8' rows stacked 4' high cut 14-16" long when done unloading). Weight not considered, 2 cords would fit if stacked about 6-7' tall in the bed and I feel sorry for the truck at that. When I used haul/sell firewood, I'd show up with a bed load level with the bedsides for a cord and bring a low boy trailer flat loaded about 18" deep if they want 2 cords.

I would like to see a pic of the factory overload helpers with coils. Did they install overload leafs alone or was it a type of coil over or air shock helper spring?

To the OP, I don't think you'll have an issue with a camper on 3/4 ton coil spring setup provided everything is still at spec. After 40+ years coils do degrade a lot in their spring rate so new coils would be advised.
I am sure the coils need to be replaced and maybe air bags as well.........I am thinking the leaf is a better option for us.......

Truck Campers of the era in the picture probably exceeded 3000 pounds...the new aluminum frames are much lighter............but even then they are heavy
Joe Cool is offline   Reply With Quote