View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #327
gigamanx

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern 52 View Post
Since my plan is to put the gas tank behind the rear axle, how close to the S10 frame can the cab be mounted? Are there clearance or other issues to deal with when mounting the front end if the cab was 1 inch or so from the frame? I know the transmission hump will have to be higher. Just looking for lowering options and I am not too concerned with a shallower box in the back.

Thanks
I think JoeDoh had responded to this post in another thread for you. I'll reiterate what he said. I tried to go as low as I could and found the radiator core support was the biggest issue. I could probably go another 2" lower which would be 3" gap between the top of the frame and the bottom of the cab.

At 5" between frame and cab, I had a small transmission tunnel to contend with along with modifications to the rear bed. Two inches lower, I would have to tunnel the entire cab to clear the driveshaft which would also mean cutting up the seat mount. When mounting, the cab wasn't the deciding factor for height, it was actually the radiator and front fenders. If the radiator and cab don't line up, you'll end up with odd gaps in the front fenders where they mount to the front grill, where they mount to the cab, and in trying to line the fenders up on the wheel well.

I am now sitting at a ride height I like quite a lot. A 2" drop spindle and 28" diameter tires, I'm looking at sitting about 6-8" off the ground. I can go measure tonight when I'm in the garage.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote