View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #590
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Got some time to work on the WMB today. I have been driving it without a choke since I put the Qjet on. Which hasn't been too bad, even when we've had some mornings below freezing. As the idle mixture is still rich I've been able roll out to work without much fuss. I ordered an electric choke conversion from Mikes Carburetor parts. I have used this style of choke before with good results.
Picture number one is what you get in the kit. The directions are good and it only took about 30 minutes to install. That being said I had no old choke to remove and the mounting surface and threads were previously cleaned. Also I had previously installed wiring for the electric choke on the old Edelbrock carburetor.
Most of my installation time was getting spent getting the existing wires and hoses situated. The set up consists of a choke stove with 12+ and 12- connections. The 12+ is for power from a switched source. The stove bolts down the same as the factory one would. (Photos 2 & 3). The actuator arm has to be inserted in to the choke linkage before the stove is bolted down. Then the tricky part is getting the push nut installed on the end of the actuator arm.
The 12- terminal is where the temperature sensor hooks up. The sensor has a copper lug that bolts to the intake manifold. The connection to the manifold is a ground so it has to be clean and shiny. After removing one of the intake bolts and filing the intake to get a good electrical connection I coated the surfaces with Coppersieze to keep it working in the long run. Then the sensor is simply bolted down and the wire run to the choke stove. (Photo 4)
The connections on the choke stove are male and female so if you don't change the connector on the sensor lead it would be hard to get it wired incorrectly.
Now the fun starts. In the morning I will have to set the high idle speed as well as how much the choke plate is pulled closed when things are cold. Although currently its only been down about 40 degrees in the mornings lately. I may have to go up on Mt. Hood to get some colder temperatures.
Loosening the screw above the plastic part of the choke allows you to turn the plastic center which in turn opens or closes the choke plate like the original did.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote