View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 04:59 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: This for any of you that are self employed doing Carpenter work Jobs

I'm not a contractor, but can believe it. I recently did a fence job for my gals dad. All redwood less the posts. Seven feet tall, material intensive, 2x12 bottom, 2x8 cap, three rails, and a trim top. I install wood posts to last 4-5 decades-ish, and screw everything down. OT, fence shops are consistently a rip near as I can tell, I've seen boards outlast frames, such as on this job, which was primarily miserable.

Near coast growth neglected forever, both sides of fence. Vines everywhere, fence was covered with them. Volunteer trees and bushes to remove too. At least two prior sets of concrete from fence no more. Discovered hard as &)*()^)^ slab right on the property line Thankfully only two posts long, where I installed the retaining wall it needed but never had. At least it was fairly easy clay digging after busting out concrete and cutting out roots. I'm too old for this *(^)^.

Most of the labor was prep, and that's where people often don't get it. I charged Tony's friendly discount labor rate at approx. $30 an hour, total $3500. Wouldn't do that again, but I do like to work, and results, I have lots of spare time. That fence cost him nearly $100 a foot, materials ran about $45 a foot with dump fee, oh my. California style, they charge a extra tax on State-imported lumber.

I've since removed every *&(%*% vine. Don't know what it is besides invasive with BA roots everywhere. Here's the LH side. Behind the backboard is where the fence deserved another "good neighbor fence" section, but the section retaining wall, a BA trees stump, not kidding, three trees in one, a telephone pole, a formerly useless corner post cross section, and an old footing to contend with (breathe) prevented it The fence is since decorated with road signs and such, the old man enjoys talking points.

Other then where I installed retaining boards, and what needed to be ripped out, the grade is surprisingly level. In other terms, the fence's top and bottom are level.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-10-2024 at 10:39 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote