View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
kipps

Re: Upgrade to 5 speed manual

Sunsoaked, do you have any internal parts that would be available for cheaper than new? I'm needing the 51-tooth fifth gear and the GM input shaft/gear. Both of mine got chipped from a trashed thrust bearing sending metal fragments through the case. I'm seeing prices of about $100 for each gear, depending on the source. I also need the 3/4 synchro hub. Mine is grooved pretty deep from that failed thrust bearing.

Tucsonjwt, definitely remove the tailhousing from any nv4500, and confirm that fifth gear is still where it's supposed to be. Particularly if the transmission was behind a diesel engine. Mine was out of place, and was only halfway engaged with the countershaft fifth gear. I'm still trying to decide how extensively I'll pursue fixing/preventing the problem.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote