View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #14
tucsonjwt

Re: Upgrade to 5 speed manual

Thanks for all of the input.

I will not be doing the work myself, so hired labor will be a factor in deciding which way I should go.

If I put a NV4500 in i will have to get a new driveshaft made for about $700.

It seems like getting the correct NV4500 for my truck would be the main issue.

Ballpark estimate for a NV4500 rebuild is $2K + the cost of a core (if I can find one.)

The local Gear Vendor mechanic recommended a NV4500, but he will not hunt down the correct NV4500 or do the necessary mods. He did say that a new Gear Vendor could be installed with just an on/off switch which would control the power supplied to the shifter mounted engage/disengage button, so that would eliminate the $400 control box. The control box is supposed to prevent engaging the Gear Vendor below 25 mph, but I don't think it ever worked properly in my truck anyway. That would put the reman Gear Vendor at $1250 + $120 shipping + California tax.

I am leaning toward having the SM465 and gear vendor removed and taken to a a local transmission shop for a repair estimate. If that estimate is not too high and includes a sloppy shifter fix, that might be the cheapest way out.

Does anyone have ideas on how to repair the sloppy shifter on the SM465? I don't want a fix which involves welding the shifter to the extent that i end up with a shifter rattling in 4th gear - I would rather have a sloppy shifter than that. I had a 63 SWC Corvette with a 4 speed where the previous owner welded the shifter and I had the 4th gear shifter rattle - very annoying.

When the gear vendor is not engaged and working and I drive on the highway, the 454 is running at very high RPMs since I have a 4:10 rear end. The gear vendor is supposed to reduce the final rear axle ratio by 20%, so that is like have a 3:23, which is a nice highway gear - effectively an overdrive.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote