View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
AHenry014

Re: 1955 GMC Big Window Step Side Build; LSx, IFS, IRS, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
looks really really great!

shockwaves dont make great bags for ultra slammed trucks because they only have about 5" of usable stroke, even with the geometry of the a arms that will only work out to about 7-8 inches of lift total. make sure that your 6-7" ride height isnt topping out or close to topping out your shockwave, its usually closer to 4" for half travel on a shockwave (with the front end geometry added) so most setups either set the truck up to lay out OFF the ground to get more ride height, or move to a different bag type. if you try to ride around topped out the shockwave shock will break. I have seen it happen in person.

those lincolns are 5 on 4.25 stock but you can make them 5 on 4.5 with cobra IRS parts if I remember right. you can also use the cobra center section to get a LSD, the mark viii used electronic limited slip, applied the brake on the spinning wheel to make the other spin.

good luck, great start! thanks for all the high res pictures!
Thank you for your thoughts! Ridetech lists "extended length" and "ride height" in the specs, with ride height being 1.5" shorter than extended length. I have considered this so i am not rolling around fully extended. I do (now) recognize the limitations of the shockwaves, even though i have the longest stroke model. I measure within 1-2" of rocker on ground when laid out, but that will all depend on the tire i choose, which is tentatively 28". I can always buy longer ends if they dont work out. It was comforting that even after deciding on the 1" extended shock eye (after extensive repeated measurements and visuals), that it aligned with Team321/Dave's recommendation for his crossmember/crown vic suspension.

I tossed around the idea of going with the cobra hubs, but from a cost and simplicity standpoint, I ultimately went with a redrilling jig. It will redrill the factory lincoln hubs and rotors for 5x4.5. Seeing as how ONE cobra hub is to the tune of 167 dollars, a $140 jig seemed like a better idea. The drilling jig came from Hells Gate Hot Rods, a very popular option on the Mark VIII forum for guys wanting to use mustang wheels. As a bonus, i just need the jig to redrill new rotors, I dont need adapters for the calipers, and i can run smaller rear wheels.
AHenry014 is offline   Reply With Quote