View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Re: L6 to V8 weight bias significance

I've driven these trucks with V8s in both positions and they all drive the same to me. But I don't do slalom. Figure GM used the same springs for small block and six. I'm keeping the apples with apples and oranges with oranges in my comparisons. I never noticed any difference in handling with dual batteries or aluminum heads either. Or driving alone vs with a passenger. The key word here is significant and that's what is generating my replies. That's why my simple answer is no. I understand the economics stand point and, honestly, either position is fine for me.

As far as oranges go, most of my experience has been with 4wds and the motor tucked back just that little bit makes it a PIA when it comes to the distributor. When I helped a friend put a 700r4 in his '67 Panel on a '72 Suburban K/10 chassis, the economical and way less labor way to go was the opposite. Move the engine forward. All pluses. Engine out of firewall, only move engine mounting, no transfer case crossmember moving, no floor mods (transfer case lever hole), and no altering two driveshafts.

But you never hear of people moving there engine forward in a 4wd to get it out of the firewall. Most likely because it's even more work and expense... AND, it's just no big deal either way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote