View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: D52 Caliper Rear Disc Brake Brackets

Well this whole disc brake bracket assembly came about as the result of a couple members wanting an affordable rear disc brake conversion that would accept the Wilwood dual piston D52 calipers. As is works out the GM D52 calipers will work as well, which can be bought for around $15.00 each for rebuilt calipers, not counting the core charge. A lot of guys will have a couple D52 calipers laying around that can be turned in for cores. So from that perspective the calipers for these can be very inexpensive if you don't need an e-brake. If you do need an e-brake, those will run about $110.00 plus a core charge of around $25.00. The GM D52 calipers come in 2 piston sizes, 2 15/16" and 3 5/32" whereas the Impala, and the Camaro calipers are considerably smaller at 1.59" for the Camaro caliper and the Impala SS calipers at 2.13".

The one other thing that I like about this setup, is the rotors. The Astro rotors are about the same diameter as the Impala SS rotors, but the Astro rotors are 1.29" thick compared to the Impala SS rotors which are .790 thick. I just like the thicker, heavier rotors, plus they are the same thickness as most front rotors.

I haven't done a total conversion cost comparison between the three assemblies, but I feel that these are a little better suited for use on a pickup. The brackets themselves are more expensive than either the Impala brackets or the Camaro brackets, but I believe that a person can do the conversion for less money overall. Plus you can always upgrade to the Wilwood dual piston D52 calipers at a later date without any modifications.

A lot of what makes either one better for you, is if you can source any of the parts needed for one more economically than the other. And also what you expect fron your truck's brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Cobra64 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, is there a distinct advantage to this setup versus the camaro/impala setup you offer? Parts/aftermarket availibility?

I am planning on doing one of these conversions in the future, I just have to learn about my options and then consider which route I want to go.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote