View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
blue1969camaro

Re: '80 C10 drag truck project

I also shortened my rearend housing. I read A LOT of articles online and after discussion with my teacher we decided, if I took my time and measured everything several times and used my digital level correctly, that I could do it my self without the special bar and pucks to line up the new end. I only shortened the long side to equal the short side. I know probably not the best method but hey you don't know until you try it. I did and I took my time (three class days) to level the housing perfectly, use my pinion measuring tool (see pic) and I was able to make the new end exactly parallel to the end that I didn't cut off, it was 90 degrees with the housing level. The digital level I used I bought at Home Depot and it reads to the tenth of a degree. Man has that digital level been useful no estimating the bubble close to the middle. I took my time, almost three hours to weld two spots about an inch long directly opposite each other, then let the housing cool completely and repeat. I can see inside and I had great penetration and all the welds look good. I am very confident in my work. Now my pinion is centered and I will order my Strange axles and spool this week.

I also got my ladder bars from Chris Alston's Chasisworks which are their battle cruiser 36" double adjustable units and all the brackets and crossmember I need to install them. My lower coilover mounts are adjustable Competition Engineering units. I also got a Fas2 watts link kit. I know that the watts link is not needed for drag racing but I discussed it with my teacher and we decided that it would provide the best lateral rearend control. My shocks are AFCO 9" double adjustable units.

That's it for now I have just over two weeks left before the end of the semester and a month break for the holidays. I am hoping to get the rear suspension all mounted before then. I was also hoping to get the cab mounted but I'll have to see what the deal is with the body shop first. I will try to update sooner so they are not so long.
blue1969camaro is offline   Reply With Quote