View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Detailing questions/help

1. Washing - Does it really make any difference what sponges, mitts, etc. are used? Is there any real difference between the wide variety of detergents/shampoos? Do you use the two bucket method? For hard water, what is the best way to prevent water spots? Are there deionizer users here? How about blowers? Does the sheeting method of rinsing help?

I use a microfiber sponge or mitt and Meguiar's Ultimate car wash. I have never had to deal with hard water, so I can't help.

2. Drying - Whats the best way to thoroughly dry without leaving spots? Waffle weave products, chamois, water blades, blowers like metro blaster?
I use the waffle weave/guzzler towels and compressed air to dry stuff like the wheels and around the grille and body where water likes to hide out after towel drying

3. Clay - I know nothing about using clay, so any guidance would be great! What lubricant should be used?
I use the Mother's Clay and it comes with their detail spray to use as a lubricant. soapy water will work too, but if using detail spray you just wipe it off after claying and you don't necessarily have to rewash the vehicle.

4. Buffers - I realize that most serious detailers probably don't use dual action machines, but that's what I plan on using. Is the porter cable 7424 XP a good unit?
The Porter is very popular. I myself use a DeWalt 849X and Flex Mini, both are considered 'rotary polishers'

5. Buffing pads - This is new to me, so any points will be greatly appreciated. Is there a special way to clean them?
Most buffingI use the 3M three step system and the buffing pads correspond to the step of polish you use. White pad goes with #1 buffing compound (white liquid), grey/black pad goes with #2 Machine Polish (it's grey liquid), and blue finish pad goes with #1 fine polish (blue liquid). As for cleaning the pads, I get this Pinnacle spray cleaner from Autogeek.net - actually I get most, if not all my detailing stuff from them. I also wash my pads in the washing machine sometimes.

6. Buffing compounds - I have no clue. See above

7. Wax/Sealant - Please feel free to make recommendations. I've been using carnauba based waxes for forever, but I think I'm ready to try sealants. Microfiber for removal? Is there anything special to cleaning the microfiber, other than not washing it with other types of fabric?
I use the Meguiar's Ultimate synthetic wax, but recently tried the Collinite 845 insulator wax and it is very durable and gives a good shine. I use in on my DD's. For my hot rod C10 that has more of a 'show' quality paint job, I have some Pinnacle Souveran carnuba wax - it gives a better shine, but not as durable as the Collinite.

8. What to do with water spots? Both clear coat and non-clear coat paint.
I would start with a fine polish, if that doesn't get it, you'll have to go to something more aggressive. I use Klasse All-in-One as a hand polish BEFORE I wax (after ALL machine polishing is done). The shine is outstanding.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote