View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 12:36 AM   #33
ChevyRacefan

Re: Trying to do the logical thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I'll check with Art Carr first, but do the math. It depends on axle ratio. A 2004R with a 3.73 axle wouldn't be much different than running a 2500 stall converter with a non-lock TH350. But in both cases you'd need an aux trans cooler.

Yes, you still have to install the TV cable correctly, but it's not rocket science. Pretty easy to do, especially with the pan off to make sure the TV lever is just touching the valve with throttle linkage at idle and choke open (no fast idle). In fact, I like a few thousands preload.
o/d loads the transmission differently, than 1 to 1, and because of this, heats the fluid.
Track vehicle or week end short cruiser. ya, not much of an issue, something you drive a lot, it is a big issue. It gets costly when you burn up o/d gear.
I ran a 2800 (non lock up) stall in a 2004r in a 3.73 geared 26" tall tire vehicle, and when in o/d the fluid temp gets toasty . The transmission would shift into o/d at 45mph, and that speed is much lower than the 2800 stall.
I can only go by what I have seen with the 9 vehicles I have owned with the 2004r. I would not run one without a lock up converter and use o/d for any length of time. A simple switch, and you can have no lock up all you want,, then turn it on when in o/d or just cruising around and don't need the higher stall,unlocked converter .and have the transmission live a long happy life.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote