View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #37
RADustin

Re: 1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
This is phenomenal to watch. I feel like I'm sitting in on a build at some sort of a GM skunkworks.
probably the coolest words spoken about the truck yet

Wouldn't it be the coolest if GM directly sponsored some of these old truck builds by opening up their old drawing packages and full from the bins of previously design parts? Maybe that's just my dream but I think it'd be sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
Bump for some updates!!
yep!

So I lost about a 10 days of any progress ~2 weeks ago. Got randomly really sick, bad vertigo. So no 3D model progress, no nothing. but, been moving along well other than that.

got the bed dropped on. Wheelbase looks good, but bed to body lines are off considerably. Still not exactly sure the problem, I think it's the aftermarket bedsides. Either way, I'll find a way to get everything in tune.

put the rear bumper on to make sure I cut the frame correctly. It isn't adjusted, but the stick out is right from the back of the bed. so that is a good.

downpipe fits well.

so then I switched gears for a bit. I needed some major 3D model progress on the front suspension. Although the axle was hung on the 4 link, that is as far as I went with design. So I ordered up a redhead box, specific for what I'm doing. Ordered a pitman, all the stuff for the rebuild on the front axle, and some other nic-nac to add into the model. I'll make a seperate update on just model stuff.

Box of goodies from Rockauto. They are the best.

So anyways, been back round working on 3D model, while also pushing forward on fab.

The core support has been lingering. I been avoid it to be honest. I knew it was going to be toughest part of my swap. I wanted it to look fairly OEM, use stock LB7 parts, use mechanical fan and OEM LB7 fan shroud. OH and I didn't have any of these 3D models, so everything was going to have to be figured out shop level.

Initial fit up, the cooling stack from the LB7 is much more massive than anything the squares came with. The lower intercooler mounts are basically right on top of the core support mounts, so I knew it'd be fun to figure all this out.

I laid out all of my cuts, and made some of them. I wanted to build the new vertical posts first before I cut the meat out, so I can align everything prior to cutting out the center. Going a full 48" wide of opening.

The new posts will spot weld in like factory. And they wrap around the backside on the opening to give a very finished OEM look.

used my level to ensure everything is on the same plane.

for the outer halves I hammer formed the lip. So made templates and cut lots of MDF. One pattern brought the lip to 90, and another to 135°. So two forms for each side. Also my brake I wanted to use is short, so I had to two each half in halfs. Lots of pieces here.

hammer formed lip follows the contours of the headlight bucket nicely.

once the verticals were tac'd up I braced up the bottom of the support to cut the center.

I machined locators for the stock mounting pickups so I can retain the angle and position. They have a raised face that fits the stock hole tight.

center removed.

to terminate the ends of the new center to the old outers I made some offsets out of 1x2x16ga tube. Very angular to match the shapes well.

The new frame mounts are cups made from 1.5" HREW with plates welded on the bottom. After welding I machined the weld with a little radius so they look nice.

things getting fit up. The spanner tube is again 1x2 and is flush with the outside of the new verticals. This is how the offsets fit.

mounting cups finished out and fitted to jig.

marked crossbar for cuts. cut and fit in mounting cups.

trimed cups, fitting back in place

I welded things in a very specific order to minimize warping the support. So basically I welded in the cups, then straightened the spanner bar, then welded the bar in.

re-fit radiator in place with full shroud. everything looks good except I'll have to shade the radiator to the drivers side to make the fan shroud line up. I completely forgot during my engine mount design that GM offsets the engine to the drivers side about 5/8".

once the refit was done I took tons of measurements and ordered some material to make the upper radiator mounts from. In the meantime I started forming the lower intercooler mounts. They will also brace things considerably.

I'll keep working on these this week until I leave for Talladega. But hopefully the core support will be finished soon.

I'll make another post about the model updates.

1976 GMC Sierra Classic C35 CCSB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25#post8188825
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote