Thread: 55.2-59 New versus old safety
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
mr48chev

Re: New versus old safety

Well put Dsraven.

Top quality seat belts that are properly installed and a collapsible steering column are two things that need to be installed in any modified truck.

I was at a local rat rod show a year or two ago and some guy had a sharpened spike sticking out of the center of his steering wheel. Long enough that it would go through and past a person's backbone in a crash. True the car was not licensed and trailered to and from the event as most rat rods around here are but I can see some fool high school kid putting a spike in the middle of his steering wheel on his Honda Civic and getting it run through him in a minor accident because he thought it was cool .

Build as safe as you can, then teach yourself to be a defensive driver who pays attention to what is going on around you and as far ahead of you as you can see.

I don't think guys need to get paranoid though. Just think the mods out and study them a bit to make sure that you aren't building in a safety issue.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote