View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
1project2many

Re: Steering arms and tie rods.

Quote:
Since the 3/4t arms dont fit the 1/2t axle, i wonder if 3/4t spindles would fit on the 1/2t axle.
Fair question. I know 3/4 ton axles use larger diameter king pins. The spindles could be bushed to accept smaller king pins. I do not know if 3/4 tons use larger bearings but I think the game will get more complicated if I have to manipulate brakes and drums, hubs, number of wheel studs, etcetera.

Quote:
im wondering why you think you need heavier arms or to reinforce the 1/2t arms. are you using some 40 series low profile tires on the front? is there some flex in the steering??? Ive got 225/70/15's on my front end and the original steering box. its tight and tracks well. the only problem is when i try to turn at slow speeds or parallel park. then it takes some arm strength. Just wondering what your concerns are.
Most folks go after the obvious parts when working with the stock front end. Tie rod and steering box are generally first on the list and for good reason. These help but if you're in an area with rough roads you still get to play the game of bouncing sideways out of bumps, being pulled across ruts, and generally having to apply too much steering input.

I have worked on light and medium duty trucks for many years. The game we play with the 1/2 ton Chevy is not present in many other vehicles with solid axles. Folks want to blame the solid axle and leaf springs but these aren't the issue. Buses and trucks weighing 5X what our little pickups weigh do not have the same problem yet they use solid axles with leaf springs.

Years ago I put a GMC power steering system into a TF. GMC used a power steering box rather than a power assist cylinder. The truck was running a large set of Mickey Thompson bias plys. I saw first hand that the forged steering arm was flexing allowing over 1/8" movement of the drag link without corresponding movement in the wheel. Since then I've been able to demonstrate on a number of occasions that it takes very little force to cause that arm to flex. I'm not a superhero and if I can do it in the shop then I guarantee it's happening on the road.

Roads around these parts are rough. They're full of potholes and often heavily rutted. Driving the truck in traffic can mean the road is in charge. I'm ready to try and change that.

Last edited by 1project2many; 08-06-2020 at 04:31 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote