View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #10
Jemezcrusher

Re: Need some wisdom from those who have already been there

I decided to stick with the 235 that was in my truck when I got it. It had good compression and only had about 4000 miles on a rebuild. I wanted to be able to cruise at highway speed so did the same thing you are contemplating I have an Offy dual carb manifold with two carter weber carbs that I got from Langdon’s. Williams headers from the same place. T5 that I rebuilt. You have to change the input shaft and enlarge the mounting hole just a smidge but no real problem. 8.8 rear out of a Ford Exploder. I am going with kind of an old school look and I think it is coming along fine. I’m not sure I understand Mr48’s comment about a 6 cylinder turning a one day trip in to two. I am just about to get mine together so I can not speak for the performance just yet, but with the overdrive gearing and 3.73 rear end, I should be able to cruise down the road at 70 mph without much difficulty. Big hills will slow me down some but won’t add a significant amount of time to the trip overall Back in the day I could cover 600 miles a day in a 40 hp VW and they topped out at 70. A buddy of mine has the same set up and is getting 25 mpg out of his 6. He takes long trips all the time. Build what you want. If you want lots of power you will burn the tires off and AD truck. My .02
Attached Images

Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote