View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 02:02 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: cleaning in fender wells/ bed sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 longhorn dually View Post
not sure where to put this. I have a '72 Chevy c30 i am rebuilding, in the process of getting it to body work. my question is how does one clean inside the outer and inner bed sides? ( not the inside of the bed (that's wood) the actual sides them selfs.)what product should i use for rust prevention/ coating? is there a cost friendly 360 degree spray system to use? ( it would need to be approx. 3' long) The only solution i can come up with is get a wire wheel on a 24-36" extension and go to town, thoughts? also i know i can drill out the spot welds and split them apart, not something i have the room and want to do. any and all suggestions are appreciated.
I bought a used bed so I had time on my side. On the drinker's side I filleted the bedside. Used a chin poker in the electric grinder to get the heavy rust off. Then I used that acid etch made just for that purpose. Then I epoxy primered the inside. Then I welded it all back together.

After that one I bought a re-pop for the captain's side.

In my imagination I see a future, 100 - 200 years from now where the remains of my truck are in a junk yard and that passenger side bedside is still standing there like new.

I described the fillet part - even though you said you know you don't have the room and want. I included it just so you know it was done and it took forever and took a lot of space - like you thought.

Maybe reach in as far as you can with a wire wheel. Then use that acid etch stuff on the inside as it is liquid. Where you can't reach with a brush, pour it in there with the side upside down. The process to use that acid is to rinse it off with a garden hose but it is meant to be primered and painted over. After you figure out how to get a wire wheel in there you'll need to figure out how to spray primer and paint in there.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote