View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 08:35 PM   #63
willem445

Re: 1980 Chevy K20 Farm Truck

Couple more updates. Have been working on the truck more frequently as I have a tentative goal of having it "done" by May (done as in usable again). Unfortunately, it seems any progress is negated by finding more things to fix!

Some new parts for maintenance. Trying to take care of this leaky 350 so also doing doing oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets.

New body mounts as well since I've been lifting up the cab for rust repair, might as well do them while everything is apart.

Also doing new valve covers and air cleaner, I don't have pictures of those right now though.

Oil pan dropped, oil looked better than I was expecting!

Had to drop the starter to get the pan off. Probably a good thing I'm doing all of this maintenance. There was a huge mouse nest packed into the starter, was working fine but probably not good for the starter!

Unfortunately when I popped off the first valve cover, I noticed two chucks of metal sitting in the head. Discovered the base of one rocker broke out, looks to have been a perfectly clean break but definitely some wear due to it.

I was thinking of just swapping the one but I figured since I'll already have things torn apart, might as well do all new rockers and pushrods. Should be here Tuesday.

Since I plan on using this for towing things around, I decided to buy a good heavy duty receiver hitch rated for 1600 lb tongue and 16000 GVWR. Should be plenty enough!

I got the 7 way trailer plug all wired in as well as a trailer brake controller (no picture right now)

This hitch is way better than the factory bumper hitch. The factory brackets both broke at one point and were welded up. Ditching that junk!

Finally got the driver side floor completely welded in, not too bad but very tedious work. Hoping the other side is easier since the rust doesn't look quite as bad.

Weld are improving! Really impressed with this cheap YesWelder

Since I'm waiting for parts for the engine and I'm waiting on the engine to pull the bed to finish the cab corners, I decided to start rust repair on the bed.

Not a fan of removing spot welds but getting more efficient at it!

Here is the side all cleaned up:

The inner fender panel is solid but has some really bad pitting, this is a bed from a '75. Looks like they improved the design later on by adding some slots for draining. I tossed around the idea of just throwing some Rustoleum on the pitting but I figured I might as well buy the patch panel and replace it while I've already got the bed cut apart...

I also decided to buy another 7 wire plug to add inside the bed. Eventually I plan on adding a gooseneck hitch to pull a stock trailer. Figured it would also be easiest to do this now while it's easy to access everything.

So waiting on more parts now!

One final update. The gas tank access for this '75 was the just screw in cap style where as my tanks are set up for the later door style. So I headed out to the farm to scavenge the gas tank shields from the old bed. Was having a heck of a time getting at the bolts so I flipped the bed over. Going to be sore from that tomorrow, pretty heavy! Got what I needed though!

1978 Chevy C20 (future project?)
1978 Chevy C10 (parts)
1975 Chevy C10 (parts)
willem445 is offline   Reply With Quote