View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
1969_CM2590D

Re: Missing Title Question

Go to the courthouse, or the DMV and ask a supervisor, then check the law on it online. The first thing you need to know is what Tenn. requires. Research online and make sure Ala. is a bill of sale state. Yes, you can get incorrect information form the a clerk at the DMV.

Even then, you may need a registration in his name.

My GMC came from Ga. which is a BOS state for anything more than 25 years old. Ky is a stickler on tites, but will accept a BOS if that is what is legit in the state you are bringing the vehicle in from. So, I did get a title, but the County Clerk herself had to go through a few books to verify Ga's. law, and said I did need a registration in the seller's name. Mine was current, but it could have been expired as well. There had to be something to show the PO had legally owned it. Nonetheless uncertainty didn't entirely go away until the mail came and I had that title in my hands.

If you really want to buy it, and if he wants to sell it, have him plate it so it can be shown he's the legal owner. You can offer to cover the cost. If what I had was good enough for Ky., it should be ok in Tenn. If he won't do that, walk away.

The point is- be 110% sure of what Tenn requires for a title, and be 125% sure you have all the necessary paperwork.

1969 GMC C2500 305E V-6 The Mule
1986 Toyota 4Runner
1959 MG MGA Coupe
1969_CM2590D is offline   Reply With Quote