View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
100%Chevy

Re: 78 K20 towing with 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
From my experience and observation, 70 mph with a bumper pull is really up there at the ragged edge. With a gooseneck or fifth wheel it's really just how fast can your truck go

There seems to be a lot more trailer wrecks in the past few years. I attribute it to trucks that can actually pull a trailer 80 mph. In the past you might be lucky to get up to 65.

Passing a semi going 65, when that bow wave hits the tail end of your trailer … well, you better have a really steady hand and tap the trailer brakes to straighten out or you're going to end up in the ditch with a big pile of splinters. Lots of truck dash cams on youtube if you don't believe me.

We were passing a pickup and camper trailer in our little car down by Crow Agency last summer, when he blew a trailer tire. It scared the sh1t out of me! Fortunately, it was his right rear tandem so it didn't swing over into our lane, and he managed to slow it down without going into driver induced yaw. We were going the posted 80 so he must have been doing 70-75. Too hot, too fast, and maybe too old of a tire …?
I posted that I've towed at 70 mph.Not something I would do all the time,but there are times when you don't realize how fast you are going!
BUT,you must have sway control and weight stabilizers installed and adjusted correctly! Tires with stiff side walls are required.Mine weren't till later after the BFG's wore out. I also had a helper spring on the front axle to help with the weight.
Many times big trucks would fly past,trying to blow me off the road and did it too! I have a C.B. in the truck and could listen to them laughing at me! Manually over-ride the trailer brakes!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote