View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #244
joedoh

Re: 1941 project fenix

thanks henry! next is the fenders I picked up in your neighborhood

when I saw a 41 for parts on the meadville pa craigslist, I called my brother who lives up there. I made a deal for the rear fenders and my brother shipped them to me in a giant box. I got this truck and it had a 47-55 bed and rear fenders so I was glad to find some rear fenders, even though one had a watermelon sized hole in it.
IMG_3177 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I picked up another passenger rear fender the next week but it is black, plus I hate borrowing from future projects (now haha, wasnt always that way). I found a bed that had a scrap of a drivers fender left on it and postulated that, properly trimmed, this scrap could fill the hole.
IMG_3772 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

time to test that theory. I was tired of bending over so I tackled the fender. I used my air nibbler to trim the rust on the fender only enough to get back to good metal.
IMG_6698 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I roughed in the chunk. this might work!
IMG_6697 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

using an ancient and super secret method of marking the cut exactly (I held the chunk over the hole then used spray paint from the back side) I trimmed it and whadayaknow
IMG_6699 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tacking sheetmetal is not much fun especially stuff this thin, but I got a lot of the way before stopping for the night.
IMG_6700 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I need to rebuild the inner mounting lip too but the scrap fender had a good amount of that part too, so I might just get this done tomorrow! no plans for body work, this is just the kind of patch that would have been done in the life of the truck and so I will just grind the welds, protect the bare steel, and be done with it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote