Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #656
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well one small progress thing......Got the rear end all buttoned up...all bolts tightened down, new bushings in panhard bar and it installed, rear shocks installed...kinda like the bright red shocks. Just waiting on the brake line stuff to get that area finished up. I am going to paint the rear drums and front calipers a cast color,,,think it will look a lil better than black.

Now for the opinion part of this...I talked with Andy several times over the last couple of days about this. Randy suggested that since my truck is completely apart that if I EVER wanted to do AC that now was the time to do it. It will save me much aggravation doing it now verses next spring/summer when I will actually need AC...I do live in Alabama...the land of humidity.

Here is my choices...I can buy a Vintage Air system and figure out how to put it in.....I like the vents that Corvette Jim sells and will be using them....Or I can buy an original system for the truck and use the dash vents....Best I can tell from the quotes I got is that the Vintage Air is roughly 800.00 cheaper than an original system.

I think an original system will have a better value than a VA System in the event it were to sell....as my uncle says...its not for sale but it can be bought. Based on what I am seeing, from research that I have done about 9% of these trucks came with factory air, but the deception is that AC was an accessory that the dealer could add....so unless you have the original SPID sheet or the original paperwork when the truck was bought there is no way to tell. Even if the dealer added it on later unless you have the original sales order you simply do not know. I am in no way trying to be deceptive about my truck...one quick look at the engine block will tell you its a 3 on the tree truck. Kinda like adding sway bars which I am doing.

My truck will not be completely original...I changed the brakes for safety reasons, added a 700R4 for drivability reasons, am changing the grille to a C60 grille cause I think its just cool and while the outside will be the original white the interior will be a charcoal gray looking color. All these things are easily changeable back to stock if someone so chose to do it. But I prefer to keep it as stock looking as possible given these few changes...of course her new shoes will be a dead giveaway.

So what do yall think....Open the hood and see 1966 everywhere or open it and see vintage air........
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote